Saturday, June 7, 2008

May 1, 1969...GAME 19 (SEA 1, SEA 0)

Ding Dong Bell went 7 scoreless innings and the Bulldog pitched a scoreless 8th, but the game still went 11 and Diego Segui was in there to get the win and increase his record to 4-0. Perranoski, the closer of the 60's gave up the winning run in the bottom of the 11th, when Steve Whitaker led off with a triple. Tommy Davis was called on to pitch for Don Mincher, who was not ecstatic about being removed from such a clutch situation. Tommy is a fantastic hitter when he see's lefthanded pitching and Mincher is not. Still Mincher is a veteran who still hold a grudge against the Twin organization for trading him to the Angels in 67 for a player to be named later and Dean Chance. Mincher wanted to get a bit of revenge, but he had to sit and watch Davis get an intentional walk instead. In a strange twist of fate Rich Rollins, another Twin castoff, lofted a sac fly to Greg Nettles in LF to plate Whitaker as the go ahead run. Segui got the Twins to go 3 up and 3 down in the home half and the Pilots stole a 1-0 win in 11. This was the third consecutive game the Pilots scored just 1 run. Consider them lucky to have won 1 of those 3.

Joe Schultz quote of the day: "Hey, I want to see some el stikos thrown around here."

Interaction with Maglie:

Bouton: Sal I've made some decisions about my knuckleball adn I's like to talk them over with you:
Sal: Mblvckd ?
Bouton: Yes, Well, I think I've got to throw the knuckleball all the time and forget about my other pitches.
Sal: Of course, Christ, if you don't do that you won't get anybody out. That's your bread and butter.
Bouton: Another thing, I've got to throw the ball for about 15 minutes before the game to get the feel of it. I don't worry about tiring my arm. Strength means nothing to me.
Sal: Certainly, Absolutely, otherwise you can't stay sharp with it.
Permission granted for the Bulldog to do it his way.

No comments: